Are you looking to buy a new-build house? If so, it’s important that you’re armed with all the facts about UK new build homes before making that decision.
Here are 17 surprising UK new build home facts that may shock you. A lot has changed about houses that are built in this country.
- 170,000 new homes were built for the year ending June 2019.
- The average cost of building a 3 bedroom house will depend on how many square meters it occupies. The typical size of a three-bedroom home can range from around 90 square metres to 120 square metres. This means the cost could range from around £126,000 to £300,000. The average cost will be around £213,000.
- London has built the most new build homes in the UK. The city has 307,000 more new-builds since 2011. That’s the equivalent of two extra cities the size of Sunderland or one Bristol.
- In 2017, detached homes were the most common type of housing built, whereas in 2007, apartments were by far the most common home type built.
- 56% of new homes in England were built on brownfield land in 2016/17. The term ‘Brownfield land’ describes previously developed land that is not currently in use.
- An average British new build house is 20% smaller than in the 1970s.
- Average living room in a new build house is 17.09m2.
- Master bedroom in a new-build house is average at 13.37m2.
- The average kitchen in a new-build house is 13.44m2.
- In the UK, the average new build home has 2.95 bedrooms
- 241,130 homes were finished in 2018-19, with 12% created through ‘change of use’ conversions
- Over the ten-year period (2010 – 2019), a total of 1.4 million new homes (1,405,771) were registered to be built across the UK.
- 112,086 homes were registered in the private sector, compared to 115,584 in the previous year (-3%). 48,936 homes were registered in the affordable sector, compared to 43,294 in the previous year (13%). NHBC
- 5.1% of the UK’s land is used for homes and gardens.
3 interesting facts for first time buyers
Lots of first-time buyers decide to buy a new build. Here are 3 bonus facts just for you.
- For many first-time buyers a new build home is the only way they can get onto the property ladder. This is because they can apply for the ‘help to buy’ scheme. This is something that the British government offers to first time buyers who need financial help in buying a home.
- Many new-home developers offer incentives in the form of attractive extras in order to clinch a sale.
- Top-spec new builds often come equipped with all the latest technology.
There you have it. Some surprising UK new build home facts to equip you on your new build journey.
At Oakcroft Builders we excel in building new top of the range homes. We are building contractors who specialise in new build construction. We pride ourselves on our reputation for building quality homes for a wide range of clients. If you are interested in building a new home we can help.
Contact us now to discover how.